Tuesday, 1st August 2006
Search Briefs: Digitizing Books at the University of California; Our Friend Danny Sullivan; Bloglines wants to block private feeds from search
+ University of California May Join Google's Library Project (via LA Times)
NOTE: Interesting to see UC potentially getting involved with Google Book Search. As the article notes they already are partners in the Open Content Alliance which includes both Yahoo and Microsoft.
Heck, it wasn't even two months ago when the following news broke:
See Also (News Release): Microsoft to Collaborate With University of California and University of Toronto Libraries for Windows Live Book Search
With collections totaling more than 34 million volumes in the more than 100 libraries on its 10 campuses, the University of California library is the largest research and academic library in the world. In addition, the University of Toronto’s library network, the largest in Canada, has more than 15 million holdings and is one of the top four research libraries in North America. These important collections will greatly expand the depth and breadth of content available through Windows Live Book Search.
See Also: U.C. system signs on to Microsoft book-scan project (via News.com)
See Also: UC and Microsoft Collaborate on Book-Scan Project (via UC San Franscisco Library)
See Also: UC Joins Digital Library
From Oct. 22, 2005
+ USA Today Profiles Danny Sullivan
Personal Note from Gary who worked for 18 months as News Editor at SEW.
What the article doesn't mention is:
1) Danny is a wonderful human being. Period!
2) He was a great boss. I worked much more than I was asked to but when Danny chooses you, it's a responsibility I took very seriously. Plus, he was also great about letting ResourceShelf continue and flourish.
3) It was my honor and pleasure to work for him.
4) I'm honored to call him my friend and colleague (as well as the rest of the SEW team).
5) I'm thrilled and also honored that many ResourceShelf posts get linked to on SEW.
6) More personal thrills. At the upcoming SES show (next week), I'll be on a panel with Danny and Matt "Mick Jagger" Cutts.
+ Yodel Anecdotal - The Yahoo Corporate Blog
+ Bloglines wants to block private feeds from search